Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition whereby the immune system attacks the synovial membrane of joints, initially of the small joints but progressively involving the big joints. It has a wide range of clinical presentation depending on extent of joints involvement and severity of the condition. It is a chronic multisystem disease of unknown aetiology.
Signs and symptoms
• In the majority of patients with RA, the onset is insidious with joint pain, stiffness and symmetrical swelling of a number of peripheral joints
• The clinical course is however, variable
• Rheumatoid Factor (positive in about 30% of cases)
- • Acetylsalicylic acid 1.2 g PO 6 hourly with food.
• Ibuprofen 400–800 mg PO 8 hourly. Continue for a long as it is necessary
NOTE: Patients with intractable symptoms may require special treatment at specialized centre
6 Novemba 2020 08:16:40
- 1. STG