Small cell lung cancer
SCLC is characterized by early development of widespread of metastases. It is highly sensitive to initial chemotherapy and radiotherapy; however, most patients eventually die of recurrent disease.
Signs and Symptoms
As in non – small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) however brain scan and bone marrow aspirate are necessary \
Staging: Limited disease versus extensive disease
- Aim is for local control and palliation. Cure rate is low Platinum + Etoposide are the major drugs for which the tumor is sensitive.
• Cisplatin IV 60 mg/m2 Day 1 + Etoposide IV 100 mg/m2 Day1–3 , Every 3 weeks for 4 –6 cycles
• Carboplatin IV AUC 5 Day 1 + Etoposide IV 100 mg/m2 Day1–3, every 3 weeks for 4–6 cycles Other available active drugs include irinotecan and gemcitab
Consolidation to primary site and mediastinum: 50Gy/25F/5weeeks
• Prophylactic brain irradiation in complete responders
• Temporary relief of respiratory, bone or CNS symptoms: 30Gy/10F/2wks
5 Novemba 2020 12:18:19