Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning organic compounds, and may of its exposure occur in private residences. So its toxicity is usually due to improper use of gasoline portable generators and indoor use of charcoal for cooking and heating.
Signs and symptoms
• Dull headache
• General body weakness
• Nausea or vomiting
• Shortness of breath
• Blurred vision
• Loss of consciousness
• Blood gases
• Serum electrolytes
- Give 100% oxygen to accelerate removal of carbon monoxide (note patient can look pink but still be hypoxemic) until signs of hypoxia disappear.
Educate the patient on Dos and Don’ts of poisoning prevention.
• Keep medicines and poison in proper containers and out of reach of children
• Use containers with child resistant caps
• Keep all products in their original container
• Read medicine labels carefully to avoid mistake
• Leave container open
• Transfer products from their origin
• Remove labels from the medicine products
• Put tablets into another containers such as purse or envelope
• Medicine/tablets as sweet
• Take your medicine in front of children as they often copy
14 Novemba 2020 15:01:13