Corrosive compounds poisoning
Examples—sodium hydroxide (Soaps-drain/oven cleaners), potassium hydroxide, acids, bleaches or disinfectants.
Signs and symptoms
- • Give small volume of water as soon as possible-beneficial within 30mins
• Give oxygen therapy if respiratory distress
• Arrange for surgical review to check for:
o Esophageal damage/rupture, if severe.
o Perforation, mediastinitis and peritonitis if suspected
Note: Do not induce vomiting or use activated charcoal
Educate the patient on Dos and Don’ts of poisoning prevention.
• Keep medicines and poison in proper containers and out of reach of children
• Use containers with child resistant caps
• Keep all products in their original container
• Read medicine labels carefully to avoid mistake
• Leave container open
• Transfer products from their origin
• Remove labels from the medicine products
• Put tablets into another containers such as purse or envelope
• Medicine/tablets as sweet
• Take your medicine in front of children as they often copy
14 Novemba 2020 15:02:53
- 1. STG